Photo: Peter Ash
Recaps Sports

Rams pummel Mount Royal with great offensive effort

By Raine Hernandez

The Ryerson Rams men’s basketball team defeated the Mount Royal Cougars 96-60 on Saturday, pushing their record to 5-1 on the preseason.

Throughout the month of September, the Rams spent their pre-season away from home, travelling to British Columbia for the Guy Vetrie Memorial Tournament and to St. Catharines for the Brock Invitational Tournament.

With a 4-1 record from both tournaments with quality wins against Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Victoria and McGill, the Rams returned home to play in their final pre-season matchups.

On Saturday, they squared off against the Cougars, who were coming all the way from Calgary.

From the get go, it was clear that the Rams were in a league of their own. The starting lineup of Myles Charvis, Yusuf Ali, Jean-Victor Mukama, Keevon Small and Tanor Ngom dominated the first quarter, leaving no chance for visiting team to catch up. Jayden Frederick was also a factor for the Rams throughout the contest, providing an offensive spark off the bench for Rams head coach Roy Rana.

By the end of the second quarter, Ryerson were sitting comfortably with a 58-30 lead, with Mukama and Frederick leading the way with 11 points each.

Although the Cougars made a 13-point run in the third quarter in attempt to trim the lead, they would be no match for the strength of the Rams. In the final quarter, Mukama would take control of the game, highlighted by two consecutive and-one plays (both in a three-pointer), followed by a thunderous dunk on fast break opportunity.

Ryerson would eventually close it out and take the win in dominant fashion.

UP NEXT: The Rams will finish their pre-season on Sunday, when they take on St. Francis Xavier University. Tip-off is scheduled for 1:00 p m.