Mustangs blank Rams, winning streak halted at five games

By Luke Burrows

The Ryerson Rams women’s hockey team’s historic winning streak came to an abrupt end on Nov. 24, as the they were shut out 4-0 against the Western Mustangs at the Mattamy Athletic Centre.

Western winger April Clark was the biggest thorn in Ryerson’s side throughout the night, notching the opening goal in the first period as well as the game’s second goal halfway through the second.

The current OUA points leader also assisted on the game’s third goal, after she set up teammate Evra Levesque on a shot from in tight to Rams goaltender Fanny Vigeant. To cap off the scoring in the third period, Western’s Jessie Sanghe capitalized on a lucky bounce and scored on a breakaway short-handed goal early in the final period.

In the lopsided loss, the Rams found themselves on the man-advantage a total of eight times. Unable to convert on all eight opportunities, and with the team’s powerplay percentage dropping to 9.5 on the season, Rams captain Kryshanda Green said that the team knows what needs to be done.

“Execution,” Green said. “All that’s left to do is put it in the back of the net.”

Mustangs goaltender Carmen Lasis got the nod for her team’s second game in as many nights, and Rams head coach Lisa Haley said her team was aware of what they were up against.

“She’s a quality goalie,” Haley said. “She led them to silver medal last year… We knew we were going to face a really good goaltender, and she certainly lived up to that.”

Lasis stood on her head throughout the night, posting a strong 39 saves shutout to improve her already stellar 1.57 goals allowed average and .945 save percentage. With the loss, Western jumped the Rams in the standings, leaving the team to settle at third in the league with one game remaining before the break.

UP NEXT: The Rams will look to close our their first half on a high note when they head to Waterloo to take on the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks on Dec. 1. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.