brent

Rams dominate Laurier, extend winning streak to five games

By Libaan Osman 

The Ryerson Rams men’s basketball team won their fifth straight game on Nov. 10, steamrolling past the Laurier Golden Hawks with a 97-52 victory. 

It was a competitive start between both teams, which only brought the best out of veteran guard Jean-Victor Mukama. The fifth-year forward took his game to a whole new gear, dropping 14 points in the first quarter to give the Rams a 27-17 lead.

Mukama would finish the game with a career-high 27 points, seven rebounds, four assists and two blocks on 9-16 shooting.

The Rams tenacious defence gave the Golden Hawks the most trouble they’ve faced to date, as they were held to their lowest scoring total (52) and their worst shooting performance at 27.4 per cent from the field on 62 shots.

The Rams ability to control the glass was one of the biggest factors in the game, out-rebounding the Golden Hawks 46-27. This would be the worst rebounding performance for Laurier since Jan. 6, 2017 against the Windsor Lancers, where they only grabbed 25 rebounds.

Ryerson held a comfortable 21-point advantage at halftime, but wouldn’t stop there, growing their lead to as large as 46 late in the fourth quarter. 

One of the biggest moments of the game was the Rams ability to defend last year’s Rookie of the Year Ali Sow. In three out of the Golden Hawks first five games, the second-year guard has put up at least 30 points. He struggled in the game as he was held to just 8 points on 3-16 shooting.

On the other hand, Ryerson had six players score nine or more points.

Rams fifth-year forward Filip Vujadinovic made his felt on both ends, scoring 15 points, 15 rebounds and two blocks in 25 minutes. Jayden Frederick also poured in 15 points and five rebounds on 6-10 shooting. 

Warsame Mohamed, who had a career-high 20 points on Nov. 9 against Waterloo, added 10 points and six rebounds on 5-7 shooting in 16 minutes.

UP NEXT: The Rams will travel to Hamilton to take on the McMaster Marauders on Nov. 16. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m.