Photo courtesy: Hung Le

Rams win fourth in a row, topping Mustangs in feisty contest

By Luke Burrows

The Ryerson Rams men’s hockey team extended their win streak to four games on Saturday, defeating the skidding Western Mustangs by a score of 5-1.

Less than 24 hours after a 5-4 overtime victory in Waterloo against the Warriors, the Rams came out flying at the Mattamy Athletic Centre to take a 1-0 lead after a scrambled goal from forward David Miller.

The Mustangs had two power play opportunities in the opening frame, but with a power-play completion percentage that ranked second last in the OUA coming into Saturday’s matchup, it was no surprise they had difficulties setting up against Ryerson’s penalty kill.

Though their power play could use some work, the Mustangs penalty kill was on full display in the second period, as the Rams couldn’t capitalize on four separate man advantages that came their way in the frame.

Ryerson’s power play went even more downhill late in the second, as Western’s Cordell James scored on an odd-man rush for his team’s first short-handed goal of the season.

Things began to heat up following the equalizer. Miller and the Mustangs’ Kenny Huether got physical in the corner after a questionable hit, leading to a Mustangs power play that was promptly killed off by Ryerson.

Just over five minutes into the third period, Ryerson’s Steven Harland netted his fifth of the season from a shot in tight to put the Rams ahead. The floodgates opened up late in the third, as Ryerson scored three more in the final four minutes to take the game.

Tempers rose steadily throughout the game, as the scrappy competition finished with a total of 22 penalty minutes.

“If they’re going at you, you obviously want to pick it up a bit,” Harland said after the game.

When asked about how the Rams are going to keep their momentum, Harland said he just wants the team to “just have a good week of practice. Build off it and keep working.”

UP NEXT: The Rams will stay at home and prepare for the incoming Windsor Lancers. Game day is scheduled on Nov. 15 and puck drop is scheduled for 7:15 p.m.