Illustration: Celina Gallardo

Eye Playlist: New Semester, Same Grind

By Jessica Fonseca

A new semester has arrived. With it comes the dreadful back-to-school routine. The one goal on every student’s mind is to perform better. For some, that means showing up to class on time, studying more or even just remembering to bring your calculus textbook with you in the morning. No matter the goal, big or small, the plan is to succeed! Here are 10 songs to give you the power to do just that.

“breathin” by Ariana Grande, 2018

This popular track from the current queen of pop gets you to relax and really take a second to breathe. The soft lyrics and repetition makes the tune very soothing to the ear. This is the perfect melody to listen to during your early morning commute, where you can close your eyes and meditate before the hectic hustle and bustle begins.

“Move Along” by The All-American Rejects, 2005

An iconic throwback from the early 2000s will have you feeling full of energy. Its upbeat and inspiring lyrics will get you hyped for the day that lays ahead. This song is also great to get you moving fast from Eric Palin Hall to Ted Rogers in that impossible 10-minute window before class.

“Sunflower (Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse)” by Post Malone & Swae Lee, 2018

When we first heard this song in Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse, we got to see Miles Morales when he’s really in his element. Morales sings “Sunflower” when he needs to calm down in certain situations, the perfect heartfelt anthem to relax to after a long day of class. Heroes come in all shapes and sizes.

“Nonstop” by Drake, 2018

The former Degrassi actor provided Torontonians with a great back-to-the-grind song. This track from his newest album, Scorpion, has an undeniably confident beat. Aubrey reminds you to tread on through the crowded city streets and your overwhelming workload.

“I Will Survive” by Gloria Gaynor, 1978

Most of you don’t know how you’re still functioning after first semester, but this inspiring classic will have you believing you’re going to make it through another four months! Gaynor’s soulful passion creates a deep connection with listeners—it’s as if the song was written just for you.

“Don’t You Know How Busy and Important I Am?” by Tom Rosenthal, 2015

This indie-pop song really hits home when your friends ask you to go out on a Friday evening, but you have to say “no” to the bar until you finish your essay due at midnight. The tequila shot will just have to wait until the semester is over.

“High Hopes” by Panic! At the Disco, 2018

Probably one of the most overplayed songs on the radio, but the one with the most important meaning: to never settle for anything less than your dreams. If you’re dreaming of straight A’s, then go for it!

“Three Little Birds” by Bob Marley & The Wailers, 1977

Another classic that will never go out of style. Known for the lyrics, “every little thing gonna be alright.” This song from the king of chill himself is great for helping you destress and calm down.

“Shake Me Down” by Cage the Elephant, 2010

From the indie-rock band that never disappoints, especially with this song. Its powerful lyrics will motivate you to keep going, “even on a cloudy day,” no matter how hard the obstacles you face.

“Wake Me Up Before You Go Go” by Wham!, 1984

This timeless tune will always put a smile on your face and is impossible not to dance to. You’ll find yourself singing into your hairbrush in front of the mirror while getting ready for class.