Photo courtesy: Alex D'Addese

Rams dominate the glass, take down Voyageurs to start two-game weekend

By Thomas Debost

The Ryerson Rams women’s basketball team topped the Laurentian Voyageurs 87-63 in the first game of an action-packed weekend at the Mattamy Athletic Centre on Jan. 18.

Despite an inconsistency in energy, the Rams managed to stay strong on the glass, grabbing 25 offensive rebounds in the game.

“We struggled today to keep our energy up, but I think offensive boards for us were key,” said Rams guard Emma Frasier.

Ryerson came into this game hot, having won three games in a row. The Rams rank second in the OUA in field goal percentage (41), while also leading the OUA in both offensive and defensive rebounds.

On the other hand, Laurentian came to town with a in impressive three-point shooting percentage, making just short of 30 per cent of their shots from beyond the line.

Andrea Zulich from Laurentian hit two threes early, showing why the Rams needed to be wary about the Voyageurs’ range.

The Rams started to sail ahead thanks to Fraser, who was a strong presence off the bench all throughout the matchup. Ryerson led 19-13 after the first quarter, shooting 50 per cent from the field.

Ryerson held onto their lead throughout the second, as they kept moving the ball extremely well and feeding forward Sofia Paska, who dominated in the post as per usual. Ryerson led 43-20 at the half.

All along the third, the Voyageurs kept looking more and more shaky on both ends while the Rams continued to establish their dominance on offence, escaping to a 53-36 lead.

The Rams simply had to wait this one out. Throughout the game, the Rams’ bench remained a valuable asset for the blue and gold with second-year Marin Scotten scoring eight points.

Laurentian guard Mackenzie Robinson had a great game, despite the loss, finishing with 23 points, while shooting 5-5 from beyond the three-point line.

Rams forward Jama Bin-Edward finished with 11 points, going 2-3 from beyond the arc, as the Rams kept their cool the whole way through.

“We made sure that what they wanted to run, we didn’t allow,” Bin-Edward said.

UP NEXT: The Rams will take on the Nipissing Lakers at Coca-Cola Court on Jan. 19. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m.