Photo: Setti Kidane

Rams fall in heartbreaking clash against the Lions

By Cameron Tobin

A game-winning three-pointer from York Lions forward Lauren Golding gave the latter a 72-69 win over the Ryerson Rams women’s basketball team at the Mattamy Athletic Centre on Feb. 15.

Golding’s buzzer-beater highlighted her stellar 21 point and eight rebound performance that propelled the Lions to just their third road win in 17 games. It also moves the Rams’ regular-season record to 17-5 and snaps their three-game win streak.

The Lions came out firing, starting the game on a 9-2 run. Ryerson, who were missing their third leading-scorer and defensive stud Jama Bin-Edward with an injury that head coach Carly Clarke described as “day-to-day”, crawled back into the game with an aggressive gameplan that led to 12 first quarter free throws.

However, Clarke was unimpressed with the Rams early effort. “We [have] got to focus on playing with effort and intensity,” she said. “I don’t think we had that for [all] 40 minutes.”

The Rams relied upon their depth to fill the void Bin-Edward left in her first missed game of the season. Bronwyn Williams, who drew the start for the injured forward, contributed seven points and four rebounds on an efficient 3-6 shooting in 22 minutes.

First-year forward Rachel Farwell also made her mark on the game, wreaking havoc in the passing lanes with three steals, while also hitting two three pointers in 18 minutes.

However, it was the familiar one-two punch of Hayley Robertson and Sofia Paska who led the Rams in scoring, with both players netting 15 points each. 

“[York’s] a well-coached with great players who came ready to play,” Roberson said.

Lions head coach Erin McAleenan game planed York’s stifling defensive attack, that was lead by Katrina Collins-Samuels and Cyanna King, who were tasked with guarding Robertson and Paska respectively for large portions of the game.

McAleenan also effectively used her timeouts to combat Ryerson scoring runs, which ultimately killed their momentum on multiple occasions.

For Ryerson, this game had playoff implications. They entered the game two points ahead of the Carleton Ravens for second in the OUA standings.

The heartbreaking loss means they will likely concede the first-round bye to the Ravens and host the Laurentian Voyageurs on Feb. 20 in the first round of the playoffs. 

Clarke said the team will look to “come back better, move on, and have some pissed off attitudes because now [they’re] in playoff mode.” Clarke finished by saying the team “will get to celebrate three great seniors (Paska, Tiemens, Follis) and then look ahead to next week.”

UP NEXT: The Rams will look to bounce back against the Queen’s Gaels on Feb. 16 on Senior’s Night. Tip-off is scheduled on 6 p.m.