Photo: Pernia Jamshed

Woke things to do at Rye

By Kieona George

Can’t stop, won’t stop! The work of a social justice warrior is never done. Want to go from high school student leader to university activist? Here’s a list of ways to keep your service streak going: 

Volunteer at the Good Food Centre

Provided by the Ryerson Students’ Union, the Good Food Centre is a food relief service for full and part-time students, staff and faculty. It tackles food insecurity by providing members access to free food on a unique points system. Fight hunger one point at a time, and contribute to those in need in Ryerson’s community.

View the African portraiture exhibit at the Ryerson Image Centre

Open from Sept. 11 until Dec. 8, “The Way She Looks” exhibit features women as the sitters and photographers. Curated by Sandrine Colard, the exhibit explores the female gaze and challenges the male-dominated art industry. 

Become an actor and support student films

Help young filmmakers and story creators by joining the Ryerson film school casting Facebook group. Meet new people while adding something unique to your resumé. 

Join the Tri-Mentoring Program

Having a mentor can be one of the best tools to help you navigate the beginning of your university career. First-year students are paired with upper year students in the same program or with similar interests. Visit their office in the Podium building in Room 54 to join.

Organize book and clothing drives

Those unread books on your shelf and the clothes at the back of your closet finally have a place to go. Gather your friends and take a trip to a nearby thrift store to decrease waste in the fashion cycle and give a book a new life. 

Play in a wheelchair basketball game

All abilities are welcome in this wheelchair basketball game on Thursday, Aug. 29. Light refreshments will be served. Players can have fun as they participate in a different form of ability. Hoops on Wheels will take place in the Upper Gym at Kerr Hall West Room 271 from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m.

Support your on-campus groups

After some ancillary fees were made optional by the provincial government, campus groups need your support more than ever. Find a group online and ask them how to join. Chances are, they’re looking for members or will have exciting events soon!