By Edward Djan and Thea Gribilas
Toronto Police Service (TPS) is asking for the public’s help following an alleged sexual assault at Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU).
The alleged assault occurred on Oct. 26 at 6:30 p.m. in a bathroom in Kerr Hall East, according to a security incident report on the school’s website.
The man is described as having a medium build, thick beard and with long black hair tied back. He was last seen wearing a long grey sweater jacket, a grey shirt, blue jeans and white running shoes, according to a TPS news release.
An email was sent to TMU students on Oct. 27 around 3 p.m. notifying the community of the alleged assault on campus.
“On October 26, TMU Security was advised of an incident in Kerr Hall. Due to the nature of the event and consultation with Toronto Police Service, we are sharing this information,” the email said.
In a statement to The Eyeopener, the school said their “primary concern is for the health and wellbeing of the individual impacted. The university is taking steps to provide support and services. It is critical that we respect the right to privacy and confidentiality of the individual impacted.”
Anyone with information on the incident has been asked to contact police at 416-808-5100, or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477) or at www.222tips.com.
Community members who are affected by this story and/or in need of support can contact the following resources:
- Toronto Metropolitan University’s Office of Sexual Violence Support and Education
- Sexual Assault Centres in Ontario: Confidential and free counselling to survivors of recent and historical sexual assault throughout Ontario. Contact a centre to ask about individual or group counselling. Also provide 24-hour, confidential crisis line to reach a counsellor by phone.
- Good2Talk: 24/7 confidential helpline for post-secondary students in Ontario providing referrals about services and supports for mental health, addictions and well-being. 1-866-925-5454
- LGBT Youth Line: Provides confidential phone and text support for 2LGBTQA youth, operating Sunday – Friday for text and chat and Monday – Tuesday for phone from 4pm – 9:30PM. Phone: 1-800-268-9688 Text: 647-694-4275
- Trans Lifeline: 24/7 Confidential hotline staffed by transgender people for transgender people. 1-877-330-6366
- Assaulted Women’s Helpline: 24-hour telephone support and counselling available in several languages. 416-863-0511
- Toronto Rape Crisis Centre/Multicultural Women Against Rape: Crisis intervention, counselling and referral for survivors of rape/sexual assault. Open 24 hours. 416-597-8808
- Women’s Support Network of York Region: Provides free, confidential services for women who have experienced sexual violence. 905-895-3646
- Support Services for Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse: Provides help for male survivors of sexual abuse, both recent and historical. Survivors also have access to a 24-hour, multilingual, toll-free phone line for immediate crisis and referral services. 1-866-887-0015
- More resources here