A man wearing a bird head poses in front of a mural.
(KONNOR KILLORAN/THE EYEOPENER)

‘Brightening up a corner’: TMU building features new mural

By Luis Ramirez-Liberato

In the heart of Toronto Metropolitan University’s (TMU) campus, a new mural is on display. Draped over the east wall of the Student Campus Centre (SCC) for beholding eyes to marvel upon, the artwork features a nearly five-story tall, realistic falcon painted over a colourful geometric background.

Jerry Rugg, the artist behind the work, is a man behind a mask of his own. Preferring to keep his face concealed, Rugg wears an owl mask serving as the face for his alter ego under the artist handle “BirdO.” He is a seasoned artist who moved to Toronto at the age of 18 to make it in the big city and has made it his home ever since.

After travelling globally and making his mark from country-to-country, from mural-to-mural, Rugg is enthusiastic at having the opportunity to work so close to home.

“I have been on the road, and in this particular instance, I’m ecstatic to be sleeping in my own bed,” said Rugg. “My base is in Toronto and I’ve just been on the road so much that I’m really happy I can just walk to the university.”

Creating a mural of this scale comes with significant costs, primarily in materials and logistical equipment. Rugg recounts the surprise of seeing the size of the wall—a nearly five-story building—after he arrived back in Toronto.

“Materials are always a big chunk of the budget,” said Rugg, noting that his approach ensures clients don’t need to worry about unexpected costs or delays. “I don’t charge per day…I want people to sit back and relax and I want to do the hard work.”

The project was spearheaded not by the university itself, but by the SCC and the businesses it houses.

“It was a multifaceted collaboration,” Rugg explained, highlighting the involvement of stakeholders in the project.

For him, the purpose of public art goes beyond aesthetics—it’s about offering a visual reprieve in the bustling environment of a city.

His hope is to bring colour and emotion to the often monotone cityscape, providing a moment of pause amidst the chaos of urban life.

“There’s so much visual communication in a metropolitan city and most of it is advertising,” he said. “What’s interesting about public art is the intention…I want [the viewer] to feel something.”

Rugg acknowledged the complex role of graffiti in urban settings as a mechanism for social change.

“Graffiti culture is an act of protest of some sort, that’s for sure,” he remarked, though he noted that each artist’s message is their own. For Rugg, his work serves as a way of “brightening up a corner,” a mantra he coined in his years of painting murals.

TMU’s students and staff alike shared their appreciation for the street art featured around campus.

The mural shares a wall with the entrance to the Met Campus Pub, one of TMU’s on-campus restaurants.

Chelsea Olarte, a staff member at the Met Campus Pub, said that the art found around TMU is necessary. She said she hopes the work of more artists from different backgrounds will be featured on campus, especially from a university that positions itself as diverse and inclusive.

Others appreciate the art featured on campus for its aesthetic value. Anthony Pacione, a fourth-year industrial engineering student at TMU, said that he enjoys street art—like Rugg’s—which gives artists a creative outlet and brightens up the city.

“It makes the environment fun, homey and unique,” said Pacione. “We’re in the middle of downtown Toronto. Art is a great way to express and showcase the city.”