A design showcases the word "eyeflashes" over a blue and yellow gradient.
(SAIF-ULLAH KHAN/THE EYEOPENER)
Campus News News

Eyeflashes: October 22, 2024

By Jasmine Makar

Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) has appointed Donette Chin-Loy Chang as its newest chancellor during the fall convocation ceremony held on Oct.15.

Chin-Loy Chang has replaced outgoing chancellor Janice Fukakusa. This makes her the sixth chancellor and the second-ever woman chancellor of the university. Her term officially began on Oct. 10, according to an article posted by TorontoMet Today. 

Chin-Loy Chang, a 1978 graduate of TMU’s journalism program, has maintained a relationship with the university and has established numerous bursaries and awards in the Digital Media Zone and the Lincoln Alexander School of Law, as well as an emergency fund created during the COVID-19 pandemic for students, according to the article.  

She has also done work surrounding race and reconciliation within the community and has said because of her multiracial heritage “from several worlds,” she is able to span over several communities. 

“Together with my friends and colleagues in these spaces, we have reached out to a broader community creating alliances and building bridges,” she was quoted as saying in the article when discussing future work in diversity and race. 

The article also indicated that Chin-Loy Chang has been appointed to fulfill a three-year term.

By Yasmeen Shawish

The Dollarama located in The Tenor at 10 Dundas St. E reopened its new doors the week of Oct.7 after being temporarily shut down earlier in the school year.

The dollar store, located at the northeast corner of Yonge-Dundas Square, closed due to a fire on Aug. 23 that caused damage to the property, as previously reported by The Eyeopener.

The Eye visited the Dollarama and observed that repairs and renovations were made following the fire in August. 

The store has also expanded to include more aisles to shop from. Locals, visitors and students can now return to their shopping as regular hours have resumed.

Second-year RTA media production student Alison Kennedy expressed excitement about the Dollarama reopening near campus, highlighting its accessibility. 

“I am so excited [for the reopening]….It’s just so convenient. If you want a bag of chips, it’s right there. There’s really no other good convenience stores around Yonge and Dundas, ” she said. 

The Eye reached out to Dollarama and The Tenor for comment but did not receive a response in time for publication.