An illustration of a student's eyes looking into the Toronto skyline.
(NAGEEN RIAZ, SAIF-ULLAH KHAN/THE EYEOPENER)

Through my eyes: Navigating life in Canada amidst a rise in anti-immigration sentiment

Disclaimer: This story contains mention of hate crimes including a recount of racial discrimination

By Shreya Basu

When I first decided to study in Canada, it wasn’t just about getting an education. It was about a fresh start—a chance at a new life in a place that I believed to be a mosaic of diversity, inclusion and opportunities. 

Like many others, I arrived in Toronto from India full of hopes and dreams as well as fear and uncertainty. Freshly 18 years old and all alone on the other side of the world, I truly had no idea what I was in for. 

My first year at Toronto Metropolitan University felt like a whirlwind. The campus was vibrant with diverse communities and I made friends who came from various countries. The unfamiliar academic system, while difficult, encouraged creativity and I thrived in the freedom to explore topics that interested me.  

Initially enrolled in the business technology management program, I took a leap of faith and transferred to journalism in my second year—this gave me a sense of purpose that I hadn’t felt in business school. It felt amazing to be in a field where I could analyze and investigate important issues, spark meaningful conversations and contribute to the public good while bringing my unique perspectives as a Gen Z, neurodivergent Indian immigrant.

It goes without saying, however, that building a home and establishing a life here has come with a unique challenge. While every student struggles with the rising cost of living and the difficulties of renting in the midst of a housing crisis, I didn’t anticipate firsthand experiencing the rise of anti-immigration sentiments in Canada. 

Earlier this year in June, my friends and I went out to attend Toronto’s Pride Parade. That night after the parade was over, a man was harassing my friend, repeatedly asking for her number and making her uncomfortable. 

I stepped in asking him to move along and asserting that she wasn’t interested in his advances. He looked me up and down and simply said, “Okay, Indian. I’ll go if you go back to your country.”

I stood there in shock, completely thrown off guard by such a blatantly racist comment. Meanwhile, my friends tried to defend me as I tried to process what had just happened. 

Like most women, I have become used to catcalls and other comments from men on the street, but something like this was unprecedented and deeply hurtful.

What happened to me that day unfortunately wasn’t an isolated incident. It’s an example of the growing intolerance immigrants face constantly and that is becoming much more frequent in the past couple of years.

As housing prices soared and competition in the job market intensified, we as international students were increasingly blamed for these issues. Countless headlines and social media discussions framed us as a burden on the system, taking up space that should belong to domestic students and workers. The comment section of popular Instagram accounts like @6ixbuzztv on Instagram has become a breeding ground for anti-immigration enrage. I find that their posts often deliberately incite racism and hate.

I can acknowledge that the large influx of international students to Canada brings various complexities. Integrating newcomers into the existing fabric of society requires unique adjustments and accommodations to ensure a smooth and inclusive transition for everyone involved—including government policies and initiatives. But what’s upsetting is citizens blaming the systemic issues within the country’s economy on students trying to better their lives or education.

I believe it is critical to note that this anger towards immigrants is often misdirected. Many people are understandably frustrated over rising costs of living and a lack of available jobs. However, they often fail to understand that the real issues lie with government policy and housing supply rather than with those who come to Canada seeking better opportunities.

By scapegoating us international students, broader systemic problems are ignored and must be addressed to create a more equitable and affordable living environment for everyone, as reported by Humber News.

It’s hard not to feel disheartened by the current climate. I came here with the hope of contributing to this society, not taking away from it, and I believe many other international students feel the same. 

Despite the challenges, I am grateful to have found a community of people who stand by me. My roommates, colleagues and classmates have been incredibly welcoming and supportive in helping me navigate this new chapter of my life. Their kindness has made Toronto feel like home and it’s in these moments of connection and solidarity that I find confidence.

Through journalism, I aim to amplify stories like mine and shed light on the complexities behind immigration. I want to push back against the harmful narratives that vilify newcomers and instead promote understanding and empathy. 

Canada is at a crossroads. I believe the way forward involves working together to address the systemic issues that affect all of us, rather than letting division define our society.

In the end, I remain (cautiously?) optimistic. The friendships and communities I’ve built remind me of the values that drew me to Canada in the first place—diversity, inclusion and opportunity. 

These values still exist and they are worth fighting for.