Cups like these are harmful to the environment. Eye file photo
All Frosh

Getting your fix in caffeine nation

For those late-night sessions and early morning classes, Ryerson campus has plenty of places to get your coffee fix — but you may want to think twice before grabbing a second (or fifth) cup.

Though suitable amounts vary from person to person, Health Canada recommends a maximum daily dosage of 400 mg of caffeine for healthy adults of average weight.

To put that in perspective, a small cup of Tim Hortons coffee, which is about 300 ml, contains 100 mg of caffeine, while a 600-ml venti Starbucks coffee has 410 mg of caffeine, exceeding the recommendation.

Coffee, however, isn’t the only beverage that can get you wired. While soda’s caffeine content isn’t negligible — a can of Coca-Cola has 32 mg — energy drinks are more likely to push you over the limit.

A standard can of Monster Energy Drink has 160 mg (and more in its stronger varieties), while a 60 ml 5 Hour Energy bottle contains half of the recommended daily intake.

And ignoring the limit won’t come without side effects.

“Research has shown that some sensitive individuals experience side effects such as insomnia, headaches, irritability and nervousness,” according to Health Canada, which lists additional risks of overconsumption as nausea, muscle tremors, along with rises in heart rate and blood pressure.

So while caffeine may be a necessary evil during your time at Ryerson (if you plan on meeting due dates), you might be wise to stick to one cup a day.