Ryerson runs for the cure

By Jake Kivanc

Undeterred by the brisk appearance of cold weather, Ryerson students suited up and stretched in pink tracksuits for the 23rd annual CIBC Run for the Cure.

At the starting line at the University of Toronto’s St. George campus, approximately 30 students from various Ryerson programs participated in this year’s run on Sunday.

But beyond the adrenaline rushes and music, the run holds a bigger meaning than an average race.

Katie Raskina is a third-year journalism student that has been running on the Ryerson team for the past three years and helped organize this year. She said that it was her family’s battle with breast cancer that pushed her to run.

“I decided to run because my grandmother died from breast cancer,” Raskina said. “When I got back from the first time I ran, I learned that my great aunt was diagnosed with brain and breast cancer. She passed away and now I’m running for her.”

The race, which consists of a 5 kilometre, a 10 kilometre and a 15 kilometre run or walk, has been an annual event that brings together more than 125,000 participants and volunteers across the country.

A newcomer to this year’s run was Thomas Disbrove, a business management student. He said he made a commitment to support his aunt who was recently diagnosed with the disease.

“Everyone is doing their best to support her right now and I thought it would be a good idea,” Disbrove said.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month in Canada. Throughout the month, the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation hosts events to increase awareness. The support of the participants and volunteers, along with generous donations, helps raise funds for research.

“I’ve never been touched by cancer,” said Andrew Shick, a fifth-year accounting student. He said he was motivated because other people he knew joined. “It’s different here – you see all of the people on the sidelines supporting you and even some of the survivors of cancer. It motivates you to keep running.”

The Ryerson team, created by Geoff Logan, was able to raise $3,580 for this year’s race. In the last three years, the students have managed to donate almost $20,000 to cancer research.