Women’s volleyball eliminated from playoffs by Ottawa

By Josh Beneteau

The Ryerson women’s volleyball team was eliminated from the playoffs by the Ottawa Gee-Gees in a straight sets (19-25, 23-25, 21-25) loss Saturday afternoon.

The loss comes in the quarterfinal game in Ottawa. The Gee-Gees will now play in the Ontario University Athletics final four while the Rams will have a couple weeks off before they begin preparing for next season.

“We don’t play to make the playoffs, we play to win championships,” said Ryerson head coach Dustin Reid. “To have to say good bye to the season at this point is extremely difficult.”

Last week the Gee-Gees closed the season out with a dominant straight sets win over the Rams. In this game, Ryerson put up more of a fight, especially in the second set. Ryerson led that set by as many six points in that set but let the Gee-Gees claw their way back with errors.

“One of the most dangerous things about Ottawa is that they serve so well,” Reid said. “If you give them easy points, they get on these serving runs and it’s very tough to handle it.”

Ryerson was able to hold off match point for a bit, going on a short 3-0 run with the game on the line. But the difference of points was too great and one big Ottawa kill ended the Rams season.

Veronica Livingston led the Rams with 11 kills while Theanna Vernon added seven. Julia Longham had eight digs on defence.

Reid said that the team will be taking a couple weeks off to let the athletes get caught up on school and catch their breath. Then it will be back to the court to prepare for next season.

“I think it’s pretty simple, we have to decide if we want to be as good as Ottawa is,” Reid said. “And the work to get us to that level will be done between now and September.”