All Editorial Letter to the editor

Airborne support: February 15, 1995

Re: Airheads, Jan. 25

The Airborne is composed of men who are trained to jump in, unsupported, behind the enemy’s lines and disrupt his operations. These are not Boy Scouts, and their behaviour should not be judged by Miss Manners’ rules of conduct. I have worked and trained with members of the Airborne; they are hard men, proud and cocky well pst the point of arrogance. They are men who have chosen a very dangerous trade. It is foolish to expect them to behave in a fashion befitting society matrons!

The beating death of the Somali teenager was, without a doubt, an obsence blot on the Regiment’s honor. But this was two, possibly ten men, not the entire regiment of over 700. I find it ironic that the individual most severely punished to date, Trooper Kyle Elvin Brown, was the one whose efforts ensured the coverup was torn open.

As far as the accusations of racism go, there are racists in every organization, military and civil, private and public. On the tapes, you see and hear three individuals out of about 10 uttering this garbage. As far as using this as a justification for dissolving the regiment, you must realize that those individuals are no longer with the regiment! Posting to the Airborne lasts three years, after which time each soldier is returned to his home unit.

What no-one is mentioning in the rantings about the Airborne’s conduct is the effect of the anti-malaria drug that was administered to the troops in Somalia. The Americans, who use a milder form of it, are very concerned about the side effects and aircrews are not allowed to take it because of its effects. The Airborne troops referred to the day they received their weekly doses as “Psycho Tuesday.”

As far as the “initiation” goes, yes, it was disgusting. However, it is no different from what happens with rugby teams, football teams, frat houses, etc. As I said, these are not Boy Scouts.

Am I defending or apologizing for the horrible events in Somalia? No. But I am saying that disbanding the Airborne is nothing but a publicity stunt, designed to soothe public outrage. Typical of such government actions, it accomplishes nothing.

Don MacPhail
Mechanical Engineering 3
Nine years Canadian Armed Forces Reserves