Eyeflashes: February 22, 1995

Professor of the Year passes away

Allan James Chindemi, a former Ryerson fashion Professor, passed away of AIDS last week. He was 43.

Before retiring last year, Chindemi was named 1994 Professor of the Year. He was also founder of the YMCA’s Positive Living Program which introduces people with debilitating illnesses to exercise and fitness.

Chindemi won numerous professional honours for his contributions to the fashion industry and received the YMCA International Peace Medal for volunteer service.

Ryerson Engineering looks for Charity

Ryerson engineers want to be better endowed.

The Ryerson Engineering Student Society has set up an Endowment Fund to help buy new equipment for students. Beginning this year, engineering grads will volunteer to donate $100 a year for the next five years.

“It’s time for us to take Ryerson engineering education into our own hands,” said RESS president Jim Pelkmans. “We can’t count on the government to pay for it, because they don’t have the cash for it.”

The idea was presented to fourth-year engineering students at an engineering seminar in January. Pelkmans said Ryerson’s reputation for turning out quality grads will be affected if the school doesn’t keep up with new equipment and technology.

“It all comes down to taking pride, taking ownership of our education,” Pelkmans said.

Women in the Media meet

CBC News reporter Wendy Mesley is one of three guest speakers scheduled to attend a women in the media conference fundraiser on Wednesday Feb. 22. “Broadsides—Potshots from media hotshots” takes place at 8 p.m. at Allen’s restaurant on Danforth Avenue. The evening will include personal anecdotes from some of Canada’s best known female journalists. Proceeds will go towards the women in the media conference which takes place in Toronto in November.

Free stuff week at Rye

It’s Health and Safety week at Ryerson—a chance for students to pick up freebies, like lunch and condoms.

Co-coordinator Charity Callahan says they want to raise awareness about safety.

“We want students to know about ways to stay safe, physically, sexually and emotionally.”

This week, booths and displays throughout Jorgenson Hall offer information, posters and condoms—free for the taking.