Rams honored: February 15, 1995

By Eil Shupak

The Ryerson Rams paid tribute to three of the greatest players in the history of their men’s basketball program at Kerr Hall Gym last Saturday night.

During a pre-game ceremony prior to the Rams 100-75 victory over Carleton, Ryerson retired the numbers 25, 44 and 45, those worn by Lui Cinello, Ainsworth Slowly, and Alex Beason, respectively. The only other number to be retired in school history was 42, the number worn by Ryerson’s all-time scoring leader, Jamie Voskuil.

“Retiring those numbers tells them that they set a standard for their performance on the floor, their leadership and that they are people to look up to in the years to come,” head coach Terry Haggerty said.

Beason and Slowly will be most remembered for the points they put on the board, while team captain Cinello will be remembered for his ability to control a game in the backcourt as well as his leadership on and off the court.

“We were looking to change an attitude and Lui was the start of that four years ago,” Haggerty said. “He…set a standard for doing the work and doing it well. He won’t be an all-star or a leading scorer, but without him, we…don’t win a lot of games.”

Slowly wraps up a five-year career at Ryerson second on the Rams’ all-time scoring list. He is a two-time team MVP and OUAA All-Star. In addition, Slowly was the 1992/93 Ryerson Male Athlete of the Year.

Beason is, without a doubt, the best player ever to don a Rams jersey. His accomplishments over the past two seasons have put the Rams in the CIAU rankings for the first time ever and now on the verge of a trip to the National Championships.

Last season, Beason was the Rams’ team MVP, Ryerson’s Male Athlete of the Year, OUAA East Player of the Year and an All-Canadian.

He hopes to pursue a career in basketball either in the NBA or in Europe.

“I want to reach the pinnacle,” says Beason. “If that’s not possible, then I will look at my other options.”