All Arts & Culture Entertainment

Wanzama speaks: February 8, 1995

By Brian Daly

Last week, visitors to the Olive Baker lounge were treated to a special display of African art.

Fourth-year Urban Planning student Isaac Wanzama showed off his unique creations of the Arts, Crafts and Book display, organized by Ryerson’s Caribbean African Association.

Set apart in one corner of the lounge, Wanzama’s display consists of African figures, mostly faceless, in various poses and situations. Wanzama says that his art is an expression of the black experience, an experience that all Africans can relate to.

“I try to take feelings that I have, and capture those feelings in my drawings. I’m trying to communicate to people what it is to be black. My paintings bring out strong emotions…because I communicate the commonalities between our people.”

Although most of the selections featured at the display were Afro-centric, Wanzama says that his work is diverse and universal:

“Sometimes, I get the inspiration to paint things that have nothing to do with Africa—the art can be interpreted by a wide variety of people.”

One such painting was on display in the lounge. It was untitled, and consisted of broad brush strokes in bright colours on a dark background. Thin swirls crisscrossed the broad strokes, giving the painting a chaotic tornado-like quality. At one point, several observers were engaged in a debate on the precise meaning of the painting. Wanzama stood off to one side, clearly impressed that his work would elicit such conversation.

Wanzama is one of several Toronto area African artists trying to make a name for themselves in a profession where recognition is hard to come by:

” Find that there are a lot of artists such as myself, who are undiscovered. There’s a growing movement to create exhibitions and venues, but there’s a lack of (exhibitions). I’ve heard many artists say, ‘where can we go to show our art?'”

As a full time student, Wanzama sees painting as a hobby, but he doesn’t rule out pursuing a career as an artist.

“There’s not a lot of money in (art), but ideally, I’d like to (paint) as a career. I’ve sold some of my stuff in the past, and it makes me happy to see someone who feels so strongly about my work, that they want to keep it with them.”