What a zoo: February 8, 1995

By Gianni Colavecchia

ZooBar patrons usually get naked after a night of partying. But some can’t wait that long.

Shortly after last call on Friday Jan. 20, more than 100 people stood on the large dance floor, staring at two young women dancing on a raised stage at the front of the club, their breasts exposed. For this, the women won concert tickets and shared a prize of $100. This was yet another “Rock and Roll Sex Bar,” a popular night at the Queen St. West dance club which features regular sex-related performances by patrons competing for prizes.

Sherdian College business administration student Domenic Galluzzo witnessed the Jan. 20 incident. “I’m surprised the club is legal,” he said.

Metro Licensing Commission field supervisor Bruce Robertson confirmed that the Sex Bar is indeed legal because ZooBar employees don’t perform a sexual service. “If the audience is doing it, it is not considered adult entertainment,” he said. As a result, ZooBar doesn’t need an adult entertainment parlor license.

Robertson said municipal enforcement officers don’t have the authority to stop the show or shut down the club. Detective Stan Bydal, a morality officer for the section of Metro’s Special Investigating Services, says a DJ asking volunteers to strip isn’t a criminal act because it’s done on private property. Bydal would not say if complaints were filed against the bar or if police have investigated.

However, a Liquor License Board of Ontario phone operator said complaints were filed to the board about ZooBar. Under the Liquor License Act, the LLBO can revoke the bar’s license for three months for minor offences like permitting disorderly conduct on licensed premises.

Galloro opened the Sex Bar and says without the popular theme night, ZooBar would not attract is crowds. “It’s not a sex show or strip club. It’s just for fun.” He did admit some people consider the show lewd and said girls didn’t like their boyfriends stripping on stage.

Galloro defends his bar, assuring they “degrade both sexes equally.” He also said women get in free and bouncers will throw out men who harass them. But Galluzzo till said the incidents are explicit. “(Friday’s) show started getting bad. They pulled out a couch and a girl gave a guy oral in front of everyone…It shocked me.” Derek Holland, another ZooBar dancer and Ryerson student, claimed he saw sexual acts and fellatio performed on stage during the New Year’s Eve partying.

Licensing Commission employee Colin MacLeod said any bar operating against the law could face up to $25,000 in fines. “ZooBar operators don’t differ from other bars trying to get away with things, but sooner or later they have to pay the piper.”