On the rise: March 8, 1995

By Barb Karadimos

It wasn’t a season that will be remembered as one of their best, but the Ryerson Rams of 1994-95 have nothing to be ashamed of.

When they were good, they were inspiring. When they were bad, nothing seemed to click. But the positives outweighed the negatives in a year where the Rams made some big strides—and some noise—in the OUAA.

What the Rams lacked in depth, they made up for in heart. It took a while for the players to get adjusted to coach Louie Carnevale’s defensive style but it was a system that worked. The Rams were only blown out three times, and gave some of the best teams in the OUAA a run for their money. Losses to top-ranked teams like the UQTR Patriotes, the Guelph Gryphons and the University of Toronto Blues were only by a goal and rarely were the Rams out of any game.

Home ice advantage, early in the season, was anything but. the Rams couldn’t break out offensively on the smaller ice surface of St. Michael’s Arena and consequently, their first three victories of the season were on the road. But as their defensive play got into gear, so did their performance at home.

As the season reached the midway point, the Rams found themselves to be in a playoff position for the first time in years. A key win in early January against Laurentian was the game of the season for the Rams. It was a game that showcased the Rams’ scoring abilities and their heart, coming from behind with a minute and a half left in the game to seal the victory.

With another pair of wins, over Queen’s and RMC, at home the following weekend, the road to the playoffs seemed clear and easy. But it was not meant to be. Although the Rams fought until the bitter end, pivotal loses to Waterloo and Laurier (who Laurentian beat in subsequent action) were the kiss of death to the Rams’ playoff hopes. Still, it was a run that showcased the Rams’ much improved play over last season and showed promise for next season.

“The guys worked hard and came to play every night, and that’s all I could ask for,” said Carnevale in retrospect.

But even with the disappointment of not making the playoffs, there were a number of bright spots in the season. The emergence of rookies like James Jollymore and John McGowan were a particular highlight. Jollymore, a defenceman, had an impressive on-ice presence and an excellent work ethic and attitude. McGowan had to wait until late in the season to show what he could do, but when the rookie goaltender was called upon against Laurier, he gave one of the best performances of the season between the pipes.

The leadership on the Rams was never in doubt. Both Ian Richardson and Mike O’Neill were leaders on and off the ice. Nobody could fault Richardson’s heart and dedication to the team. He was their offensive catalyst, and the guy that the Rams looked to when they needed a lift. The best example was the winning goal he scored against Laurentian to give the Rams a much-needed emotional boost.

Although it is far too early to predict the Rams’ fortunes for next season, the future looks bright. A summer of recruiting and the loss of only one of their top players—Mike O’Neill—could mean that next season could be the one to watch.

“I think we’ve got a good nucleus for the future and everyone we’ve got coming back are good, hard workers,” Carnevale said. “What really hurt us was our lack of depth, but we’ll improve. We’ll be back in September, a little wiser, and the team will be better off. We’ve got a lot of work to do in the next few months in recruiting and that will make a difference.”