A room of their own: April 5, 1995

Re: Check Your Penis at the Door (“Choke on This” by Ed Keenan) March 15

Ed Keenan states that the Women’s Centre’s women-only collective meetings and occasional women-only programming is “simply the most blatant violation of Ryerson’s Harassment Policy that I have ever seen or heard…” This is not the case.

The Harassment policy is informed by the Ontario Human Rights Code which states in section 14(1), “a right under part one is not infringed by the implementation of a special program designed to receive hardship or economic disadvantage or to assist disadvantaged persons or groups to achieve equal opportunity…”

This provision is also mirrored in our Charter of Rights and Freedoms under section 15(2). Women, as a group, continue to be disadvantaged in our society. Therefore, we strive to create a forum where women can voice their concerns and work towards social change.

The Women’s Centre does not want to exclude men because we hate men or because we want to “get revenge for the sins of our ancestors.” We do it because we want to provide a safe forum where women can openly talk about issues that effect them. such as sexism and discrimination. We do not mean to suggest that women are weak and thus need to be treated differently. We are suggesting that women can benefit from a place where they can talk about the reality of their lives without fear of their experiences being negated or misunderstood because men don’t share them.

If Mr. Keenan feels that we are creating a poisoned environment for men, consider how women must feel on a campus where they are disproportionately the victims of assaults, attacks and harassment. Would you deny us the right to a small corner where women can talk and not worry who is going to follow them home from the meeting? Would you also deny us the right to gain the confidence and experience that comes from being in positions of power that women are traditionally shut out of?

You state, Mr. Keenan, that you are not ready to give up on the potential of the equal rights movement. That’s great; we need your support and that of other men. But we ask you to understand that sometimes it is necessary for women to have “a room of one’s own.”

The Ryerson Women’s Centre Collective

You have little sympathy for women who might feel intimidated by having a few men around during my investment seminars. Have you ever considered why you feel this way? Perhaps it’s because you are not a woman. You have not had to overcome 20-plus years of socialization that does not encourage women to take an active interest in managing their money.

There are still many myths prevalent in today’s society. One says that if you are penis-privileged, you know everything about auto mechanics and managing money. If you are “pas-de-penis,” you know everything about having babies, raising children, cooking and housekeeping. Not! Non! Nyet!

Women, on average, earn less money than men. Most women are presented few options (if any) for financial security. Women are told they can either marry it or steal it. Option #1 is less risky—after all, #2 could mean 20 years in the slammer! Traditionally, women have not been given the tools or the knowledge to look out for their own financial security. They have been conditioned to “hand it over” to someone else. Had you bothered to ask around, Mr. Keenan, you would have discovered a few interesting statistics. Regarding the CIBC National Investment Challenge—two out of 16 participants from Ryerson are women. Why? Gender myths and socialization—”It’s OK dear, your father/husband/partner will take care of you. Don’t worry your pretty little head about all that money stuff.”

I am attempting to change this. Give women the tools. Give women the knowledge to become financially independent. I am trying to correct an inequity on a “playing field” (to use a male sports euphemism) that wasn’t equal to begin with.

I am filling a need and selecting my target market: Women and investment. Ask any first year marketing student—these are basic marketing rules!! Don’t like it? Too bad. So sad.

Lara Gunter
President, Women & Wealth