Getting ready for the “last smash”: April 5, 1995

By Michelle Osborne

It’s the “last smash” for fourth-year Ryerson fashion students, and they’re going out with a bang.

‘Seize The Day,” this year’s Mass Exodus, marks the 45th anniversary of the school of fashion. But this year, the school is collaborating with the school of Theatre Technical Production to create the most spectacular show in Ryerson fashion history, according to Sara Bennett, Mass Exodus’ co-director.

“This is the first time the two departments are working together,” said Bennett. “They (Theatre Tech) have been totally invaluable to us. I don’t know how (we) could have done this before without them.”

Leigh Kerr and Sarah Zourdoumis, both third-year theatre tech students, are heading up the sound and lighting for the show. In addition, Bandworld, a local audio equipment company, is donating thousands of dollars in “state-of-the-art” sound equipment, said Bennett.

The show consists of 28 collections, ranging from evening wear, to swim wear, to maternity clothing, to men’s garments. This is the chance for fourth-year design students to showcase their work.

“The designers could care less about graduation,” said Bennett. “They are using this show to break into the industry.”

The show opens with a run-down of the history of fashion from 1950 to 1995, using clothes from each era, and continues on to showcase designs for 1995.

The designers have been working on the garments since January, and the show highlights the best of Rye’s fashion school.

The show takes place Wednesday April 19 at 8 p.m. Tickets are available by calling Ophelia at 597-6235, at a cost of $20.