Poster defaced: April 5, 1995

By Kenny Yum

International strife marred the Ryerson jewish Student Council’s Israel Day when someone placed defamatory sticker on one of their posters.

The mass-produced sticker stated: “Fuck the Israeli Defence Force-Down With the Occupation.”

“This is our big event, the one day of the year that we really put time into,” said Council president Samantha Otis, who discovered the poster by Jorgenson Hall’s main entrance on Mar. 22. “When I came to school, the first thing I see is this poser and it really put a damper on the event. It is a shame.”

Israel Day, in its fourth year at Ryerson, is held by the Council to give students information on Israel and the culture of Jewish people. The students set up a display in Jorgenson Hall where students could read pamphlets and gather information on Israel. The defaced poster, they say, is the most “blatant” act directed against the group. But they say it has not been the first incident.

“I don’t know if this happens to every group on campus.” said Council coordinator Lois Judelman. “We have posters being torn down all the time.”

Otis said that during last year’s Israel Day, a member of the Jewish Council was putting up posters when two people stopped and stared at her. “She said, ‘Do you have a problem,’ and they said ‘No, we have no problem, we just hate you.’ They knew nothing about her.”

Karen Craig, head of Ryerson Security, said a campus-wide search for other “defaced” posters was conducted. “No other defaced posters were found, after the first poster was given to us,” Craig said.

Security has also given the information to the Metro Police Hate Crimes Unit for further investigation.

The Jewish Student Council has over 200 members at Ryerson. Otis says the incident does not speak badly of Ryerson. “One thing I love about this school is the diversity here. Everyone is a different color, different race and it’s great. There is very little racial tension.”

Otis is unsure who would deface the poster but is quick to rule out any organized group. However, she has a message for whoever did place the sticker on their posters. “If you feel that strongly about it, at least have the balls to say it to our face,” she said. “Don’t just be a coward and put up an anonymous threat.”