Rye might owe you cash: April 5, 1995

By Sarah Gambrill

A double standard in Ryerson’s fees policy means students owed money by the school won’t hear about it unless they inquire in person.

While the Student Fees office sends monthly statements to students with an unpaid balance in their account, the onus is reversed when the books are balanced in the students’ favour.

“It’s ridiculous. We’re students and we’re poor!” said second-year journalism graduate student Fabrice Taylor. He learned about the policy while looking into an error in his fees statement.

The university originally claimed Taylor owed another $300 in tuition, then said they owed him money when, in fact, his account was balanced to begin with.

When Taylor was mistakenly told he was entitled to a refund, he questioned why he hadn’t received any money from the university.

Student Fees office staff told Taylor refunds aren’t given automatically, and it is the student’s responsibility to inquire about money owed to them and fill out the necessary paperwork to get the money back.

“I was just stunned when I found out that their apparent policy is not to notify students,” Taylor said. “I wonder how many students are owed money they don’t know about?”

David Sigal, manager of the Student Fees and Cashier’s offices, couldn’t say exactly how many students have credits in their accounts with Ryerson.

“It’s an extremely transitory process and numbers like that are not readily available.”

Sigal claims the current system is fair. He would not comment on the amount of time which passes before notification of credit, but one Student Fees office staff member said it takes 18 months. “In the majority of cases students either ask if they are entitled to money or use it elsewhere.”

But if Ryerson’s 12,000 full time students each had just $20 extra in their accounts, the university could earn interest on another $240,000 in the bank.

Sigal said any interest earned goes towards outstanding fees owed to the university. He claims it is legitimate, even if some students’ credits are compensating for other debts.

“We’re not making any money,” Sigal said.

The 1994/1995 Ryerson Student Guide says “students who drop courses should contact the Student Fees office to determine if they are eligible for a refund” but the guide does not clearly outline the refund policy or procedure.

Sigal supports that statement. “It is straightforward and proactive,” he said. “We’re saying we’re here, call us.”

But students in line at the Cashier’s office, handing money over to the university, had no idea the policy exists.

“I wouldn’t even think to check if I was owed money, but I definitely wouldn’t appreciate not being told.” said Still-Photography student Jackie Kriekle.

“That’s not fair,” adds business student Reuven Poliszuk. “The school should notify you in exactly the same way as they do when you owe them money.”

But Sigal says that wouldn’t be practical.

“The main reason we don’t give refunds automatically is because the paperwork would be horrendous. The financial aspect of student life is part of your responsibilities as a student. It is your responsibility to pay the bills on time and it’s also your responsibility to make sure your account is in good health.”

Taylor is not convinced, however.

“It’s just ironic,” he says. “It you owe the library $3 then you can’t graduate but if the school owes you $500 you don’t hear about it.”