All Arts & Culture Entertainment

Spiny but nice: April 12, 1995

By Mike Coleman

Since the release of their first disc, Garbology, Spiny Norman have ben drawing a lot of comparisons. Their raw and quirky power pop has been difficult to pigeonhole. Comparisons range from the Buzzcocks to Johnny Rotten to Frank Zappa to the Doobie Brothers.

The Doobie Brothers?

“We don’t want to sound like anyone in particular,” says Rob Reedijk who shares vocal and guitar duties. “And it’s great to hear references to bands we really like. But the Doobie Brothers…we can live without that one.”

Two of the three members of Spiny Norman (named after a giant hedgehog in a Monty Python skit) sit in what used to be a medical clinic, now a depressing dirty furniture warehouse with leaky brown faucets and buzzing fluorescent lights. Reedijk and fellow guitarist/singer Larry Newman are perched on dirty chairs, surrounded by piles of old office furniture and puke green walls. It’s one of the back rooms at Gallery 215, hidden far away from the official opening of an erotic art exhibit.

A unique setting for a band with a unique sound. Spiny Norman play music with a lot of extremes; at first violently loud and raw, then deathly quiet and introspective. After three years in the Toronto indie scene, one full length cassette, a few personnel changes and some “nibbles” from a major label, Spiny Norman have come a long way and have reason to beam over their new CD.

“We decided to start this album from scratch,” says Newman.

“It turned out be the best thing we could have done,” adds Reedijk. “All the songs were written at the same time. It really captures us at a point in our lives, which is great because now we can spend the rest of our lies looking back and reliving this year.”

Garbology is an album of ups and downs, fasts and slows. It starts out as angry and energetic and ends angry and unhurried. Possibly the most powerful song on the album is “My Life Flashes Before My Eyes,” a dark song spoken over impulsive guitar and drum accompaniment. “And now I contemplate the final decision,” reads Reedijk. “Is it a decision I can live with or a decision I will die by? I feel completely aware.”

“So far people are seeing it as a song contemplating suicide,” says Reedijk. “But really it’s a song about someone’s desperate attempt to feel alive by taking themselves to the very brink of death.”

But both Newman and Reedijk, who share the song writing responsibilities, insist that they avoid any kind of political commentary in their music.

“It’s more social politics than political politics,” says Newman. “Regardless of who’s in power the basic need for happiness is something that goes on regardless of how old or young, experienced or inexperienced you are.”

It may be this need for happiness that has gotten the band this far, despite the disappointment they’ve had with the Toronto music scene.

“There’s no real community of bands in Toronto. There’s a lot of nastiness here, sub-cliques and so on,” says Reedijk. “But it’s better than some places in Canada.”

According to Newman, audiences in Toronto don’t challenge their entertainers enough and are too laid back.

“It’s kind of like sex: if someone’s just laying there it’s not that much fun.”

If you care to challenge their philosophy, Spiny Norman will be playing on April 20th at the ElMo with Spin The Susan.