Street art: April 12, 1995

By Dennis Painter

The abstract form of graffiti art is flourishing in Toronto. Some may think it is vandalism or rude slogans, but it is considered by those who do it as both beautiful art and a way of communication. What many people find frightening, the “graf” artist finds exciting.

“It’s all in fun,” says Miguelle, a member of the LTC crew who graf throughout the Parkdale area.

The back allies, bridges and white walls of Toronto are the canvases on which graf artists paint. Most graffiti artists do not use their real name. They use a “tag,” a street name which gives them both an identity and recognition for good work in their subculture. “Throw ups” and “pieces” are usually worked on by one to four people and take a half hour to an hour to paint, and represent spray paint crew logos or individual logos. If they are of good quality and workmanship, they bring the crew or individual graffer respect, especially if the throw up or piece is not in clear view and must be sought out to be found.

“Not trying to show off your work and spraying in remote locales proves that you are hardcore and down with the scene and not just fronting,” says Toronto graffer Gump.

The effect of spray painting is dependent on how well the graffiti artist uses caps (nozzles) and paints. Specific types of caps and paints give the artist different effects when tagging or piecing. These trade secrets are not revealed to many and must be self taught. “The cap is to the can as is the lead to the pencil,” says Gump.

Graf is growing—but growth brings popularity, and that isn’t always good. The scene has evolved to the extent where police sit in their patrol cars and await unsuspecting graffers in back allies that have been tagged and pieced thoroughly, in order to catch them in the act of “defacing” private property. While being shown some heavy graf sites by the LTC crew, I was followed for five minutes by a police patrol car. The crew says that’s not unusual.

But the fear of being busted for “vandalism” by an over-eager cop is nothing to a dedicated graffer. As warmer weather approaches, Toronto is sure to see an escalation in graf art and the sub-culture emerging from the underground as more artists embrace the scene.