Eye flashes: August 30, 1995

Bag O’ Crime

Knife Strike

A suspect pulled a knife after security attempted to wake him. The “street person” was found napping just south of the Photo Arts building at 7:30 p.m. on Aug. 16. Although co-operative at first, the suspect turned into a bad guy quicker than you can say Andre the Giant. Security backed off like a shocked Hulk Hogan, then, after reaching down for some intestinal fortitude, proceeded to follow the fleeing suspect south on Bond St. The silly sleeper was shortly apprehended, leg-dropped, and pinned.

Hell-derly Mugging

An elderly couple was mugged in the Ryerson quad at 10 a.m. last Friday. The thug snagged the woman’s purse and fled. Ryerson’s always-hawk-eyes security noticed that something just wasn’t right and chased the suspect. The mugger threw the purse into a dumpster but alas, was apprehended. Police said the fiend was also wanted for several other robberies and throwing purses into garbage dumpsters.

Lane ease bikers’ pains

New bike lanes have been installed on Gerrard St. and on Elizabeth St. City council hopes people will use their bikes more in the downtown core. 

“We’re hoping that the network of bicycle lanes now being installed in Toronto will encourage more people to cycle and leave their bikes at home,” said Toronto Councillor Dan Leckie, co-chair of the Toronto Cycling Committee.

The new lanes run on Gerrard St., from Berkeley St. (just west of Parliament) to Elizabeth St. (just west of Bay). An estimated 700 bikers were already cycling on Gerrard St. before the new lanes were installed.

The lanes are about half the width of normal traffic lanes and run along each side of the street, next to the curb or metered parking.

Motorists may use the bike lanes only to access parking spaces or to make turns onto side streets and driveways. Otherwise, it is illegal for cars to drive or stop in the lanes. 

With files from Tom Gierasimczuk