Welcome Back, quoth the politicians

A message from the executive of the Ryerson Students’ Administrative Council (RyeSAC).

On behalf of the RyeSAC board, staff and executive, we would like to take this opportunity to welcome you to the beginning of another fantastic year. We’ve undergone quite a few changes from last year, our name was changed from the Ryerson Students’ Union (RSU), to the Ryerson Students’ Administrative Council (RyeSAC), Tied to our name change has been a change in our appearance, our office has received a repainting and extensive cleaning. Now that these changes have been completed, we are anxious to resume the one task to which all of our changes have been geared, serving you!

Our operations include The CopyRite (a photocopy centre); The Used Bookroom (used textbook); The Edge (the campus pub); The Women’s Centre; and Feed Back (a food back). We also provide a number of student services such as the Student Health Plan, advice on appeals and complaints, course union and students groups co-ordination and educational campaigns. Tied to these services are a wide array of social programs which are offered during Orientation Week and throughout the year — such as our annual Parade and Picnic.

For some of you, this will be your first entry into the world of university life. We were all walking in your shoes not too long ago and still share vivid memories of our first year here at Ryerson. Like you, we all faced a number of challenges that came with being a first year student. These hurdles vary from student to student and include such things as being away from your friends and family for the first time, having to deal with a hectic and difficult course load, not knowing where your classes are or where to go for help. At RyeSAC, one of our primary roles is to assist you in overcoming these obstacles and providing the tools you’ll need to become an active member of our community. If you’re ever unsure of where to go, come to our office, we can point you in the right direction.

Whether you’re a new or returning student, we can honestly say that the key to success at Ryerson is to get involved. Academic success is extremely important, but any employer in today’s market will tell you that a well-rounded worker is someone who can combine their educational theory with practical skills. 

Use this time you have to take advantage of what Ryerson has to offer and by doing so, you’ll inadvertently be playing a key role in making this university better than it already is. Your niche could be varsity athletics, writing for the school papers, getting involved with your course union, joining a student group or playing a role in student government. Whatever you choose to do, getting involved will provide you with an internal link to others who can support and guide you.

As your elected student representatives, we have committed ourselves to working for you! Our clients, our patrons, and our friends. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Paul Cheevers, President

Patrick Hynes, Vice-President Finance and Development

Donna MacNeil, Vice-President Administration

Greg Thomas, Vice-President Educaiton