Your guide to Ryerson’s cultural groups

By Pete Bowak

Ryerson is at the centre of the most multicultural city in Canada, so it only makes sense for there to be a large number of cultural groups—over 30—on campus. Anyone can join any group—wether you belong to a certain ethnic group or you just want to find our what another culture is like. Each group provides services and holds events that are asd varied as the groups themselves. So, with no further ado, here are the groups and what they do:

Ahmadiyya Muslims:

This group represents the interest of one of the branches of Islam, and is one of three Muslim groups at Ryerson. The group, which believes Ahmadiyyas are direct descendants of the Prophet Muhammad, observes religious holidays and holds cultural dinners.

Ryerson’s Arab Students Association (RASA):

RASA exists to promote and educate Arabs and non-Arabs about its culture. The group holds many events, including periodic barbecues and publishes a newsletter as well. The group’s primary goal is to unite Arabs of all nationalities.

Association of Baha’i Studies:

The Baha’i faith is heavily based in theology and the study of prophets. The faith transcends denominations in its analysis of the chief prophets of all religions. Many organized religions frown on the Baha’i faith for its interdenominational tenets, but Ryerson, which is almost like an organized religion, welcomes it.

Biracial/Multiracial Club:

This club is for almost everyone, because almost everyone in Canada fulfills its criteria. This is the club’s inaugural year and its members don’t have much planned. They’re hoping newcomers will think of things to do. Word has it that this is Ryerson’s “best-looking” club.

Caribbean and African Association (RACA):

RACA holds many social events for members, including its famous “Culture Show” in January, which attracts hundreds, if not thousands or millions even. The group also acts as a support service for its members.

Celtic Students Association:

Contrary to popular belief, this is not a Larry Bird fanclub. In fact, this group celebrates Irish culture and history and stresses the fact that it is “apolitical.” The group is currently in the process of planning pub nights, seminars and trips and is looking for a few good lads and lassies to help them out.

Chinese Christian Fellowship (RCCF):

Although this group’s title is fairly specific, RCCF welcomes all who are interested in learning about Christ. Bible studies, guest speakers—everything you want to know about Christ and more.

Chinese Students Association (CSA):

Another group that welcomes all, the CSA has many events in the works. Dances, sports tournaments and debates on which Jackie Chan movie is the best are all on the agenda.

Croatian Students Association (RACS):

The Croats try to promote Croatian culture through various social events, like dances. They also get together and curse the Americans for their “bloody Dream Team!”

Eritrean Students (ESA):

This new group plans to promote the new country of Eritrea, in Africa.

Filipino-Canadian Association of Ryerson (FCAR):

FCAR emphasizes social events. The group sponsors sports tournaments and fields a large number of intramural sports teams. It also holds a successful date auction around Valentines Day.

French Club:

This alub gets together and, well…speaks French. Members go on excursions to theatres, restaurants and sports functions where…they speak French! If you love French, this is the club for you. Zut Alors!

Hellenic Students Association”

Hellenists are basically people who do Greek stuff, but aren’t necessarily Greek. So that’s this club in a nutshell. The group promotes Greek culture through dances with other Hellenic groups, as well as its “Hellenic Week,” where it sells its kick-ass souvlaki.

Hillel:

This group is here for anyone wishing to learn about Jewish culture. Hillel aims to protect the rights of Jewish students everywhere. The group is planning a Sukkot, an open-air hut where students can come and eat, for the beginning of fall.

Indian Students Association:

This group is heavy on the cultural events. An annual culture show, held in the Spring, showcases the many distinctly Indian talents in clothes, dance and music. It also holds dances and sports tournaments.

Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship (RIVCF):

This group hands out with similar groups from other schools and tries to have fun. The group meets weekly and has a retreat planned.

Ismaili Students Association:

Another of the Muslim groups on campus, the Ismaili promote their faith through participating in various charity events. Cultural dinners and guest speaker are also on the group’s agenda.

Association of Ryerson Italian Students:

The Italians do many Italian things, including holding a food fair. Mama mia!

Korean Students Assocation (RUKSA):

RUKSA has monthly meetings and holds special events throughout the year.

Latin American Students Association (LASAR):

This group is very active and holds many successful social events, like parties and dances. It’s also the best group to join if you want to learn how to Lambada. Impress your friends with your knowledge of the Forbidden Dance!

Macedonian Students Association (RAMS):

In conjunction with other Macedonian student groups throughout Canada, RAMS weeks to bring together Macedonian students, and to educate them about their heritage and culture.

Muslim Students Association (MSA):

This is Ryerson’s main Muslim group, open to all Muslims. Members get together and discuss Islam, Prophet Muhammad and Kareen Abdul Jabbar. The group has an upcoming “Welcome back dinner” scheduled for some time in September.

Pakistani Students Association:

In its second year, the group wishes to focus more on Pakistani culture than on religions. The result is: many social events.

Polish Students Association:

The Poles are a relatively new group. Last year, they promoted many Polish events, such as concerts and art exhibits. The group actually sold out The Edge (former campus pub) for one of its parties. This is the club to hook up with if you like Zybrowka and pierogies. Sto lat!

Portuguese-Canadian Students Association:

This group caters to students with a taste and flavour for all things Portuguese, because if it’s not Portuguese, it’s crap!

Taiwanese Students Association (RTSA):

The RTSA organizes many education events, like its “Business Opportunities Fair.” The group’s mandate is to provide a cultural outreach for the Taiwanese heritage.

Tamil Students Association:

For those who don’t know, the Tamils are the Indian majority in Sri Lanka. The Tamil Students Association, therefore, exists for Tamil students. Watch for the Tamil “Cultural Day,” a celebration of all things Tamil, coming soon!

Vietnamese Students Association (RVSA):

This group holds cultural dinners and various social events. It has also been in hot water with the Ryerson Student’s Administrative Council for alleged receipt fraud. Way to go! Fight the power!

All groups can be contacted through their mailbox in room A in Oakham House. If there’s no student group for you, go to that very same office and talk to Leatrice Spevack, the RyeSAC student groups coordinator. You’d be surprised how willing RyeSAC is to throw money at potential student groups!