Sports

Rams split games and personality

By Sean Fitz-Gerald

If nothing else, the Ryerson men’s volleyball team would make excellent spokesmodels for Pepto Bismol.

In two games last week, the Rams showed flashes of excellence, combined with episodes of heartburn, indigestion and occasionally diarrhea.

Last Thursday, against the powerful York Yeomen, the Rams fell behind two games to none before dominating the next two and foring a fifth game.

Their momentum fell just short as the Yeomen pulled away in the fifth, winning 15-12.

Ryerson head coach Mirek Porosa was impressed with his team’s performance.

“They showed a lot of heart and desire to win, but we just couldn’t win the crucial second game,” the Rams coach said.

The Rams decided to use the TTC as their means of transportation to York, a decision they would probably like to take back.

Thursday nights’ snowstorms slowed TTC service to a crawl and the players didn’t arrive at York until 20 minutes before game time.

“My mind wasn’t in the gamer properly,” varsity captain Paul Carter said. “Usually I get a better warm-up, but sometimes you just don’t play a good game.”

“We held together, we started a little shaky, and we were a little excited and they jumped all over us,” Ram Andrew White asserted.

The Rams lost the first two games 15-3 and 16-14. They fought back and captured the following two 15-13 and 15-6.

The men had all the momentum heading into the fifth. Rye jumped to a 6-2 lead, only to watch some questionable calls, while 6’7” York monster Shawn Joseph captured the set.

“As soon as we lose focus we let the other team in and they take advantage of that,” Carter said. “We still have five games left before the playoffs, and I think that will give us more than enough time to gel.”

One of those remaining five games came Sunday when the two-and-five Rams hosted the oh-and-seven Laurentian Voyageurs (Vee’s).

The Rams battled the Vee’s and eventually won in four games: 15-12, 3-15, 15-11, 15-11.

Once again the team displayed their characteristic split personality.

Through parts of the game, the Rams were digging, killing and dominating the nets like some of the best teams in the country. At other times, they couldn’t block and intramural squad.

Coach Porosa blamed fatigue and lack of focus on the narrow victory, but says there is reason to be optimistic.

“They were flat and sloppy today, but they were maintaining [a lead] and they won, that’s what counts.”

The Rams next action is against the first place U of T Varsity Blues at home on Jan. 28 at 8 p.m.