Men’s soccer has holes to fill

By Anthony Agostino

Ryerson men’s soccer team is not loaded with talent, but sheer determination may get them where they’ve never gone before.

New captain Tim Clarke headlines the solid group of veterans looking to rewrite the Ryerosn history books and make a first time playoff appearance. Also returning to don the blue and gold will be midfielder Jason Egrisits, Chris Gallard, Noel Hanson, Renato Duarte and Jpe Boettinger.

Despite a strong returning nucleus, coach Stuart Miller admits there are still some big holes to fill.

“My biggest worry is goaltending. It’s hard to lose a player like [former captain] John Moerman, but hopefully our goalies will step up and get the job done.”

The Rams will also take the field without a couple of all-stars. Jason Nicholson and Anthony Chisolm both graduated in April.

Last season the rams hear a playoff berth crying in the distance, only to have it fade away courtesy of a five game losing skid at the end of the season.

In 1996-97, their 3-6-3 record landed them in fifth sport in the OUAA East Division. Coach Miller is hoping improved endurance and team chemistry will make a difference this year.

“We don’t have any outstanding players, but we’re better as a team — we have a lot more depth,” said Miller, now in his sixth year as head coach.

Miller believes their pre-season record of 0-2-1 does not adequately represent the team’s potential. The team had surrendered some late goals in could-be wins against exhibition opponents mainly because Miller elected to test the inexperienced players.

Ever since coming under Miller’s tutelage, the Rams have made a steady climb towards post seasons play. Could this finally be the year?