Picture this: Rye faces lawsuit again

By Hamida Ghafour

A former RyeSAC executive is suing the student council for $700.

Kelli Campbell, last year’s v.p. education, said her camera was stolen out of her desk drawer in the RyeSAC office.

Campbell allegedly had her camera stoker from her office, which she shared with two other v.p.s last April.

Angelo DeLuca, council president, could not discuss details of the case because it has yet to be settled before a small claims court.

A RyeSAC source said the camera was left unattended in Campbell’s unlocked desk.

The camera, a Canon with a 50mm lens, was apparently worth $700.

In a memo to then-RyeSAC president Victoria Bowman, dated April 24, Campbell claims she put the camera in the back of her drawer and covered it up with a notebook.

In another confidential document dated last June, RyeSAC’s executive committee agreed to compensate Campbell with $250. But she was not satisfied and decided to sue the student organization.

But RyeSAC won’t use student money for the lawsuit.

“We are making sure student money is not wasted… and that it’s not going towards any mishandling,” said DeLuca.

After the incident, DeLuca made a motion to the board that would take away responsibility from RyeSAC for personal property left on its premises.

Campbell, who could not be reached for comment, finished her studies at Ryerson and is no longer a RyeSAC member. Currently she sits on the Board of Governors at Ryerson as a student representative.