Christian groups find a new home

By Joy Yokoyama

The room that housed Ryerson’s Women’s Centre was born again Tuesday as a Christian Centre. 

Ryerson student groups Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship (IVCF), Chinese Christian Fellowship (CCF) and Campus Crusade for Christ (CCC) celebrated the grand opening of their joint office on the second floor of Jorgenson Hall with a ribbon-cutting ceremony and open house.

“It allows both Christians and non-Christians to come and have a look at a religious organization,” said David Steele, RyeSAC’s president.

“And look at the different facets involved in that religion.”

The groups say their new room in A254 is Ryerson’s access to Christian counseling.  “The room is to be used as a safe haven for people in need of spiritual guidance, said Osmyn Gittens, IVCF’s president.

The Women’s Centre was granted the more spacious A256C following a vote at a RyeSAC board of directors meeting last December.

Rebecca Milloy, last year’s IVCF president, sent a proposal to RyeSAC in August, 1997, requesting a bigger office to be shared with CCF.

Both Christian groups had closet-sized offices on Jorgenson’s third floor last year.

Leatrice Spevack, RyeSAC’s campus groups administrator, approved the plan, but there was no room for the Christian groups until this year.

The Campus Crusade for Christ joined the Christian Centre after receiving group status from RyeSAC’s board in March.

Over the summer, IVCF applied to RyeSAC for a grant to furnish the office.  The group requested $1,000, but RyeSAC offered $2,500.

Most of the money went to painting the walls, buying a couch and adding shelves.

The Women’s Centre made similar improvements to their larger facility across the hall.

Co-ordinator Daljeet Kaur said the bigger office allows the Women’s Centre to do more.

“We have more workshops,” said Kaur.  “And we’re just able to offer more services.”