Ryerson basketball: free fun

By Elliot Siemiatycki, Special to The Eyeopener

Elliot Siemiatycki is a grade 10 student at North Toronto Collegiate Institute, and an avid basketball player.  Not to mention a big Rams fan.

It’s been about five years since I’ve been to a sports event that caused my heart to pound at the speed of a race car.

As I recall, 50,000 spectators watched in awe as Joe Carter rounded first base to win the 1993 World Series for our beloved Blue Jays.  Those were great times for sports in Toronto.  Back-to-back World Series titles, a recent Grey Cup win for the Argonauts and, finally, a Stanley Cup contender in the Leafs.  But times have changed.  Toronto now has three abysmal sports franchises.

I frequently find myself in Kerr Gym on the Ryerson campus watching the Rams play exciting basketball.  Every time I see a game, it seems as though the fan base is decreasing.  It’s true that this year’s men’s team doesn’t have one outstanding player but the club plays extremely well as a team.  So where are all the fans?  I believe that there is not enough advertising, as well as there is not one premiere player.  Now, we get to see starts in the making.

For any reader who has never been to a Rams game before, this is what you can expect:

• The swoosh of a three-point shot
  • The power of a slam dunk
  • The finesse of a great ball handler
  • And an easily excitable coach

The Ryerson women’s team has already made history by beating the U of T women for the first time ever, and in a nail-biter no less.  Oh yeah, if you go to a game, don’t forget to some love to team mascot, Eggy.