Figure skaters make history at York

Jennifer Schlee

The Ryerson varsity figure skating team glided home with the bronze medal and piece of history after its win in the precision event at the Ontario University Athletics finals.

Ryerson received 17 points, good enough for ninth overall at the two-day even held at York University last weekend. The highlight of the meet was the team’s third-place finish in the precision event — the highest ever finish for a Ryerson team in the finals.

“We were the happiest team out there,” said assistant captain and second-year architecture student Renae Redford. “When they announced we came in third, we were so excited we forgot to get our award.”

A precision team consists of no more than 16 skaters forming patterns such as pinwheels, blocks and kick lines on the ice to music.

Ryerson’s theme music this year was from Austin Powers.

“The team had an amazing skate,” figure skating head coach Jennifer Chapman said. “In the back of my mind I though they had placed, but I didn’t want to get my hopes up too high until they announced it.”

Ryerson finished behind Queen’s and Guelph, which also finished first and second in the overall competition.

“Other teams are going to be watching out for us from now on. Our routine was very competitive this year,” Chapman said. “I put together a national level routine because I knew the girls could skate it and skate it well.”

The event signalled the end of the figure skating season. The team of 15 will only lose two members to graduation this spring.