Rams hockey team has a miracle on ice

By Jeffrey Ferrier

A postgame bench-clearing brawl marred Ryerson’s 3-2 victory over the University of Toronto in men’s hockey action last Friday.

Frustrated U of T players figured that if they couldn’t beat the Rams they should beat on them.

So at game’s end, Varsity Blues players promenaded into the Rams’ end looking for a fight.

“Toronto doesn’t like to lose to Ryerson,” Ryerson coach Louie Carnevale said. “They think they’re above that.”

Fortunately, officials broke up the melee before any of the players from Canada’s top medical/doctoral university grasped that punches to the face don’t hurt when the target is wearing a faceshield.

During the hockey portion of the evening, Jason Kotack opening the scoring for the Rams midway through the first. Kotack sped down the left wing and fired a slap shot past Blues goalie Rocco Marinaccio’s outstretched glove.

Toronto tied the game in the second period when Toronto’s Paul Handley rifled a one-time from the slot past the Rams’ Carm Giurleo.

Rams left winger Marcin Snita scored the game-winner in the third. The Rams’ top scorer took a pass as he stood against the boards at the Toronto blade line. He darted across the slot, forcing the Blues goalie to move across his crease. Snit then wired a shot where the U of T net minder stood moments before.

Brent Spagnol scored for Ryerson four minutes later to give Ryerson a two-goal lead which was all the scoring Ryerson needed.

The Rams weathered a late Toronto charge to hold on to the win.

Despite the gritty victory, the Rams’ playoff hopes are fading. The Rams lost Guelph 2-1 on Thursday, leaving them six points behind Laurentian for the last playoff spot in the OUA Mid-East.