School to replace security firm

By Caroline Alphonso

Ryerson will bring a less expensive security company on board in April after its current firm’s contract expires.

Intercon Security, which has been at the school for 24 years, isn’t getting its contract renewed because the school can’t afford the $200,000 a year increase the company asked for, said Janet Mays, director of campus equity, harassment and safety services.

“It’s a financial issue. My budget has been slashed,” she said.

This year, Ryerson spent $1.1. million on security, which includes personnel and security systems. Of this money, $1 million was spent on personnel.

In April, Provincial Security, which serves colleges such as Centennial, Humber, Sheridan and Seneca, is expected to take over. The details of the agreement with the company cannot be released until the contract is signed, said Terry Ladouceur, manager of security and safety.

“The contract has been awarded, but we have not finalized anything else,” he said.

The agreement will include an increase in benefits for security officers, Ladouceur said. The school has 32 full- and part-time officers. Under the Ontario Employment Standards Act, existing officers can be offered positions with the new company.

“You won’t notice the change,” said Mays. “The core of senior people will be here. All of Ryerson’s security will still be here.”