Women’s soccer searches for first win of 1999

By Steve Petrick

The Ryerson’s women’s soccer team did not win their game against York, but they might have covered the spread.

Their 3-0 loss to York Sept. 22 was eight goals better than their last performance against the Yeowomen.

And this from a team fighting through a serious rash of injuries. Ryerson, for a second game in a row, had only one extra player. Out again were goalkeeper Nathania Dashner and team-captain Malia Herold; both were out of the lineup last Wednesday against York.

For a second straight game, Rams striker Laura Bainbridge took over goaltending duties and kept Ryerson in the game.

“She played fantastic again,” Rams coach Jon Sanderson said.

However, her extra effort did not come without cost.

After the game, Bainbridge noticed she jammed a finger and will be unable to play goal this weekend when they host Carleton University on Saturday at 1 p.m. at Birchmount. Ryerson travels to Peterborough to play the Trent University Excalibur on Sunday.

Fortunately for Ryerson, they will have more than a week’s rest heading into both of these games.

“This weekend will make or break the success of this year,” Sanderson said.

The elusive first win — in a hell of a long time — could come against Carleton (2-3) or the Excalibur (1-3).

Against Trent earlier this month, the Rams lost 3-2 but dominated the second half. They had Excalibur defenders running around in circles but were unable to net the trying goal.