Eye on Rye

By Eyeopener Staff

Marketing company abandons frosh week

Marketsource, a US company that used to give away freebies during frosh week, bailed on RyeSAC this year.

The company was a popular orientation week fixture, handing out shaving cream, deodorant, Pop Tarts and other goodies.

RyeSAC was told in a mid-August letter that the company wouldn’t be coming, leaving student representatives with little time to find a replacement.

“The organization has been going downhill for the last couple years,” said RyeSAC special events programmer David Steele.

Despite the company’s absence, students still seemed to enjoy the activities that over-whelmed Gould Street Thursday.

Aboriginal students hold Pow Wow

Staff and students are invited to attend the university’s third annual Pow Wow on Sept. 16.

Hosted by Aboriginal Student Services, the event will be highlighted by traditional Native drummers, dancers, singers and food.

The event begins at 6:30 a.m. with a sunrise ceremony, followed by a grand entry into the Ryerson Quad at noon.

The Aboriginal student group provides support and services for all First Nation, Inuit, Métis, status and non-status Indian Ryerson students.

Oakham House lights up new sign

Ryerson’s campus pub and conference centre has a new digital sign inside its front door.

The used tri-colour digital display, which was purchased from a Kitchener sign company, replaces the old marker board that old people where each of the facility’s events were happening.

Management hopes the new sign will shed a little more professionalism on the bar, along with exterior renovations of the building done over the summer.