Rams on TV kiddies!

Ontario University Athletics and Rogers Communication have reached a deal to televise 31 university sporting events in 2002.

The first of nine live broadcasts involved in the package takes place in Kerr gym on Saturday, when the men’s basketball Rams take on the Carleton Ravens at 8 p.m.

The 31 telecasts this year is a huge increase from last year, when the private broadcaster taped just 18 games.

“It was an unfilled niche and our viewers really liked it,” said Jennifer Fields, the director of programming and development for Rogers.

Of the nine live broadcasts, at least three will involve Ryrson’s men’s basketball team. The Rams will also appear live on Saturday, Feb. 16, when they play at the University of Ottawa at 8 p.m. and on Saturday, Feb. 23 when they host the Royal Military College of Canada in Kerr gym at 8 p.m.

The OUA east division final, to be played at the University of Toronto on Saturday, March 2 at 8 p.m., will also be aired live in York and Durham regions and in Mississauga.

The women’s team will appear on Rogers twice. This Saturday, their 6 p.m. game against Carleton will air at 10 p.m., directly after the men’s game.

On Feb. 16, their 6 p.m. game at the University of Ottawa will also run at 10 p.m.