Sports in a few briefs…

Men’s basketball team earns split

The men’s basketball team split their weekend home games. They beat Laurentian 87-75 on Friday, but lost to York University 76-63 on Saturday. A ceremony was held before the game against York to honour Jan-Michael Nation, who became the school’s all-time leading scorer last weekend.

At 10-6, the Rams will have a tough time catching second-place York, who moved to 13-4 with the win. If the two teams finish with the same record, York will get a first round bye, because they have beaten Ryerson in both meetings this season.

The team is on the road until the end of the month. Their final home game is against Royal Military College, on Feb. 23.

Women’s basketball team hanging on

The women’s basketball team maintained the fourth and final playoff spot in the OUA east division with an important 57-50 win over fifth place York.

The Rams won despite missing their best player, Tamara Alleyene-Gittens. Ryerson is 8-8 with four games remaining. York are a half-game behind with a game in hand.

Both teams play at the University of Waterloo on Friday, and then at Wilfrid Laurier University on Saturday.

Winless season for men’s volleyball

The men’s volleyball team saw their season come to an unceremonious end on Sunday, after losing 3-0 (25-28, 25-19, 29-27) to Guelph University. The Rams finished the season with a 0-15 league record.

Worse than the quick loss to Guelph, was Saturday’s heartbreaking 3-2 (25-23, 25-22, 23-25, 27-29, 15-11) loss against McMaster. The Marauders gave the Rams their best chance to win a game this season. The Rams came back from two sets down, but lost the deciding set. This is the second consecutive season the Rams have finished without a win.

Women’s volleyball team surging

The women’s volleyball team are poised to make playoffs for the second year in a row, and guaranteed themselves a winning season after beating McMaster and Guelph on the weekend.

The lady Rams are tied for second in the division, but could miss the playoffs if they lose weekend games to Ottawa and Queen’s. Ryerson received national top ten votes last week, and currently rank 15th in Canada.

The team is finally on track after a disappointing start to the season.

Troubles continue for hockey

The hockey team continues to flounder as the OUA season comes to an end. On Friday, the Rams lost to the University of Quebec at Trois-Riveres 7-3. The next day, they lost 8-5 to Concordia University. The Rams need one win, or one Queen’s loss to secure their first playoff appearance since 1991.

Jorgensen wins bronze, Nationals berth

Nic Jorgensen won a bronze medal in the 100-metre breast stroke at the OUA championships in Sudbury. His time was good enough to qualify him for the Canadian Championships in Vancouver.

Both Jorgensen and teammate David Quane will compete in the year end competition, which runs from February 22-24. The Ryerson men finished ranked 11 out of the 15 Ontario universities in competition. The women’s team finished out of the rankings entirely.

Fencing season ends after sectional losses

At the West Sectional competition at the University of Toronto, the men’s fencing team lost draws to McMaster and Toronto. The men’s foil finished the competition ranked fourth out of the six teams in the draw.

Glenn Tam finished placed 11th out of the 21 fencers and Anthony Wong finished 14th.

In the men’s épée Vicken Serkis placed 9th in a field of 23. The epee team ranked fifth.

The fencing season ends because neither team gained enough points to advance to the OUA finals.