Student loves his bananas

By Kelly Todd

No one looks forward to a weekly banana like Rudy Sabga. The banana tops off what he says is the best meal in Toronto.

This second-year journalism student has been going to the Horyal Restaurant once a week for more than a year, ordering the same special meal every time.

Sabga orders unlimited mango juice, tea, and soup to start, followed by a plate he says is as big as a pizza pan. The plate includes a choice of fish, chicken, goat, or beef. Rice, pasta and a salad come on the side. And for dessert — a banana.

“It’s the banana that seals the deal,”” he said. All of this for the student price of $6.80.

a friend introduced Sabga to the restaurant last year for dinner. Sabga forgot his money and went across the street to use a bank machine after dinner. When he returned, the waiter laughed and said if he ever forgot his money again he could pay when he came back another day. After that, Sabga was hooked.

“I have been at least once a week for the past year,” he said. “It’s so good, one day I went twice.”

Now Sabga brings friends along to experience the atmosphere and the family-owned Horyal Restaurant goes out of its way to make sure everyone has had more than enough to eat.

“The service is so friendly and their hospitality is incredible. Even if you aren’t eating, they will offer tea and soup to everyone.”

At the end of the last school year, the owner of the restaurant shook his hand and thanked Sabga for being such a good customer. In comparison to Pitman Hall, the deal at the Horyal is a great one.

“For $6.80 students could get a scoop of rice, steamed broccoli and a chicken wing at Pitman Hall,” said Sabga, “and for only $1.50 more you can get a drink too.”

Sabga said the Horyal Restaurant usually empties out the kitchen late at night, giving customers extra plates of chicken and cake because they don’t want to waste anything.

He said the Horyal Restaurant is always adding new sauces and soups to its specialty plate.

Ryan Wilson, first-year theatre production, warns about the effects of the hot sauce.

“I have seen some crazy things result from the red-hot sauce,” he said.

His friend Tony D’Amato, a first-year engineering student, was dared to try the new red-hot sauce. D’Amato put on a show for his friends and ate two spoonfuls. Challenged by a competing friend, D’Amato finished the bowl. Two minutes later, he rushed out to the sidewalk outside and vomited.

The Horyal Restaurant at 134 Dundas St. East, is only two minutes from the Ryerson campus and is usually open until 2 a.m. during the week.