SEX: MORE CONTENTIOUS THAN VIOLENCE

By Dominique Blain

Editor-in-Chief

For millennia, mankind has been talking, writing, painting and singing about sex.

For all the Clintonesque variations on its definition, sex is not vague. When it comes right down to it, you can see sex, you can smell sex, you can hear sex, you can touch sex and you can taste sex. And yet, to some, sex will never be palatable.

Last July, when it came out that there was a hidden hooker scene in the video game “Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas,” authorities got their knickers in a knot. The game, which has players attack old ladies to steal their cars, is violent.

The game’s objective is grand theft auto — doing the crime without getting caught. But it took a hidden scene with a prostitute to get the moral powers-that-be (in the U.S., granted) to point their long crooked fingers at society and mark it with the scarlet letter.

What’s the message here? Paying for sex in a video game is downright disgusting and morally reprehensible, but busting grandma’s caps to escape the cops in her Oldsmobile is just a game? Sex isn’t always pretty, but we’re certainly not going to make it prettier by making it worse than crime.

If only the authorities’ argument had been that there’s no place for sex in crime-ridden scenarios, that sex should not be associated with petty thugs and blood, they might have kept my attention.

But until they start making the socially and intellectually destructive Harlequin series illegal, they’d better stop putting consensual sex ahead of violence in their screwed up pecking order.