Go big before you go home

By Amit Shilton, Editor-In-Chief

Go big. If there was one thing I learned on Saturday, it was to always go big.

With a mickey of Crown Royal swirling through my head and over $200 in chips in my hand, my night at Niagara’s Fallsview Casino had only begun.

The game was Sic Bo, a dice game that plays like the bastard son of Milton Bradley. Think of a high stakes version of Trouble. The gist of the game is to throw around cash trying to predict the outcome of three bouncing dice.

It didn’t take long for the night to turn from raucous to belligerent. A few friends and I started off with a few simple cheers for a big result (the dice totalling between 10 and 18), but we soon progressed to hostile chants.

That’s when I decided to have fun with Nathan, a dealer across the room who was giving me the dirtiest of looks.

“Nathan you asshole stop staring at me!” I hollered.

Instead of getting in shit, I got high fives from my dealer, Gloria. I finished the night drunkenly high-fiving every casino employee I ran into, yelling in their ear how much I adored their casino that was “giving me free money.”

These things only happen at a casino and they only happen when you go big.

Those who know me know I’m a really cheap drunk and a night like Saturday was definitely an exception.

The truth is, most of the time it just doesn’t seem like it’s worth the hassle. On the way home on the limo bus, I had the pleasure of tasting what was probably the world’s oldest Whopper going down and later coming back up. But for those who throw caution to the wind, we salute you with this week’s Arts and Life section (pages 12-13) to help you be smooth the next time you go big.