The Internet: not just for porn

By Matthew Braga

The Internet: not just for porn As far as sprawling urban centres go, Toronto is likely one of the largest. And while you don’t need to travel far to find something good to do, the trick is knowing what’s worth your time. Business and Technology editor Matthew Braga sifts through the internet’s best websites and apps that no Ryerson student should be without.

My.ryerson.ca

It won’t make RAMSS suck any less, but Ryerson’s mobile site is a useful way to look up key information on the go. Most decent mobile browsers should have little issue with the site (sorry BlackBerry), which can make first week class hunting a slightly less embarrassing experience.

NOW/Eye Weekly

Combined, NOW Magazine and Eye Weekly will be your weekly bible for shows and concerts throughout the city. You can find physical copies littered around campus, but their online counterparts are not to be forgotten. Mobile optimized too!

BlogTO/Torontoist

Two of the city’s oldest online sources for hyperlocal news. BlogTO is particularly useful for its comprehensive event listings, and best-of lists. Torontoist couples excellent features with some striking image galleries. Keep ‘em bookmarked.

Beerhunter.ca

When does the LCBO close? Stop wondering. This handy map displays the locations and hours of nearby LCBOs, Beer Stores and Wine Racks. But the real magic happens when the sun goes down — you’ll only see stores that are currently open, making late night booze runs a relative no-brainer.

MyTTC.ca

Toronto’s public transit system can be a tad overwhelming for the infrequent traveller. Luckily, MyTTC spares you the confusion. Plug in a destination, and have the fastest route and transit stop mapped on-screen. Want a visual aid too? Google Streetview support makes it happen.

Yelp.ca

Don’t even think about taking your date to the local greasy spoon. Instead, rely on Yelp’s crowd sourced databased of restaurant and bar reviews. And even if the food fails to impress, Yelp’s totally awesome mobile app — full of augmented reality goodness — won’t disappoint.

Eaton Centre App

Even for seasoned veterans, Ontario’s largest mall is a maze of shops and stairs — unless you have the official iPhone app. The portable directory and mall-wide map may be enough to give you the advantage over your bargain-hunting comrades.

HeritageToronto.org

Too cool for Frosh? Why not learn something about the city’s past instead? Downloadable walking routes and audio tours will take you through some of Toronto’s oldest districts, giving you a different sort of education — one free of alcohol and morning-after vomit.

RedFlagDeals.com

Take note, frugal shoppers — you won’t find a better resource for sales than this. Fliers and promotions, on everything from video games to varnish, are posted each day, with the best deals vetted by the site’s army of users. You’ll be amazed at what you can find. There’s an iPhone app too!

Toronto-Sushi.com

If you’re as serious about eating raw fish as we are, Toronto Sushi is indispensable. Not only a great resource for local Sushi shop reviews, the site hosts a regularly updated map, with the location of local restaurants the site has tested.