Think you’re runway ready?

Gianluca Inglesi
Arts & Life Editor

Fashion can be a tough, competitive and even catty world. If you’ve seen MTV’s The City or the film The Devil Wears Prada you already know this. But in reality, the pressures are even more complex. Designing, marketing, styling and reporting are just some areas that are based on aching deadlines, burdensome tasks, and hectic schedules.

And with a handful of Ryerson programs breeding young fashion hopefuls, volunteering at Toronto’s own LG Fashion Week beauty by L’Oréal Paris is a must. It provides the opportunity to immerse yourself in the world of couture and decide if you’re ready for it.

Two weeks ago I found myself sloshing through puddles to get to our first meeting, hoping that the downpour wouldn’t foil my efforts of making a good impression. I entered the blank building and joined a crowd of fashionistas and stylistos who stood at the ready, awaiting orders from fashion’s boot camp.

So far the 500 person army has carried out their objective: to look pretty, and make the night immaculate for all it’s guests.

We are commissioned by lieutenants, the women and men of the Fashion Design Council of Canada (FDCC) who work tirelessly to put the week together. Sitting with the head of communications at the end of the first night I heard her turn down invites to after parties because they didn’t include her bed.

Opening night saw representation from all sides of Canadian fashion with designers, models, reporters, photographers, socialites, stylists, sponsors and uniformed volunteers roaming the lushly decorated space.

Answers to any questions I had about the industry were answered. Running an event like this means making quick judgement calls and hustling in form fitting designer clothing trying not to break a sweat.

The FDCC gang dawned leathers, furs, feathers and the right boot as ambassadors of Canadian fashion.

Only a council of powerhouses can handle something as incredible as fashion week. And if you hope to ever be a bona fide fashion bitch (as referred to by PR giant Kelly Cutrone) you have to put in your time.