By guest blogger Lesia Polischuk
When walking to the subway on torturous cold winter days, I often try to fill my mind with warm thoughts and fond culinary memories. Hot chocolate in front of the fire, warm baked goods, and my personal favourite, hot homemade vegetable soup.
Vegetable soup is easy to make, and better for you than its canned, preservative-filled counterparts. You can easily modify this recipe to suit your preference, so don’t be afraid to substitute one veggie for another. You can also change the type of broth used to fit your diet.
- 2 large carrots, peeled cut and chopped
- 1 red delicious apple cut into squares
- ½ a green pepper chopped
- 4 mini potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 1 package of chicken broth (vegetable or beef broth are also options)
- 1 cup of tomato or V8 juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Basil or parsley to taste
- Place chopped vegetables into a large saucepan.
- Pour broth into saucepan and let simmer on low heat.
- Add salt, pepper and other spices to taste
- Let soup simmer on low for about 30-45 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
- Remove from heat and enjoy with a nice side of crackers or toast.
Photo by Lesia Polischuk