All Communities EyeBlog

Eye on Rye: Feb. 28 to Mar. 4

Monday, February 28

• Queering Black History Month—This panel discussion and art show aims to give the Ryerson community a closer look at the contributions of black queer and trans folk throughout history. 3rd floor atrium of the Engineering Building, 5:30 p.m.
  • Live to Inspire Via Education (L.I.V.E) Hip Hop Festival—This festival, which continues until Friday, will host lectures, art demonstrations, a marketplace and a fashion show. Check out the event page on Facebook for more information.
  • Stress Management with the Mature Students Association—Stress is an inevitable part of the student experience, but dealing with it poorly doesn’t have to be. Come out to this workshop to pick up some new coping techniques. Lunch will be provided. SCC 115, 12 p.m.

Tuesday, March 1

• We Make It Better—RyePRIDE presents the second part of its It Gets Better Because We Make It Better campaign in support of Ryerson’s queer community with this evening of discussion and entertainment. Refreshments will be served. Thomas Lounge, 6 p.m.

Thursday, March 3

• Women’s Only Yoga—The Women’s Centre will host this fun way to fight stress and get healthy throughout the month of March. Classes are $5 each. As space is limited, the centre encourages those interested to come to their office in the SCC and register in advance. Some yoga mats will be available, but they encourage those who have their own to bring them. Oakham Lounge, 4 p.m., $5
  • Race Talks Pt. 3: Take Back the Media—The third and final part of this series will explore how different people are portrayed in the media, and teach participants how to respond to different media forms. Also, free food! SCC Second floor lounge, 4 p.m.
  • Emergence: A showcase of Ryerson graduate artwork—School is about more than textbooks and midterms, so the Graduate Council is inviting you to check out the creative side of Rye’s graduate population. Bring your one card for free food and drinks. (The exact nature of said drinks is still to be determined.) SCC, 6:30 p.m.

Get in touch with community editor Allyssia Alleyne on Twitter at @AllyssiaAlleyne or @TheEyeopener if you want your event covered or want to chat about your Ryerson community. She can also be reached via email at communities@theeyeopener.com

Seriously, do it.

Photo by Marta Iwanek