All Communities EyeBlog

Eye on Rye: Feb. 7 to 12

Monday, February 7

• RSU Elections—It’s that magical time of year again! If you give a damn about who runs the student union, here’s your chance to cast a vote for your candidate of choice. Elections take place from Monday to Wednesday at buildings around campus. Be sure to bring your OneCard.

Tuesday, February 8

• J-Choice—If you’re not a journalism student, feel free to skip this part. If you are, be sure not to skip this event! Here’s your one chance to learn more about the electives being offered for those important final years, and meet some of the profs who could be marking your future assignments. RCC 361, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
  • Sexability—A disability does not mean a disabled sex drive. This educational event aims to break down assumptions about disability and sexuality, and take a better look at the marginalization of people with disabilities. Thomas Lounge, 2 p.m.

Wednesday, February 9

• Café Talks Pt 1: Eurocentricity & The Academy—This talk is the first of four discussing the racialized student experience. I hear that the environment will be chill and informal, so don’t be afraid to drop by and learn something, or discuss your own experiences. There will also be free food. SCC 2nd floor lounge, 6 p.m.
  • Speak Magazine Launch Party—Journalists for Human Rights Ryerson is celebrating the launch of their magazine along with other university branches. Come support them! El Mocambo, 6:30 p.m., $5 in advance, $7 at the door or $5 with a canned food item
  • RRJ Fundraising Party—Like all student-run groups, the Ryerson Review of Journalism needs money. Help them cover their production costs by joining them for drinks. It’s a win-win, right? Tequila Bookworm, 9 p.m., $5 in advance or $7 at the door

Saturday, February 12

• ‘What Makes a Man…’ The White Ribbon Conference at Ryerson University—Check this out if you’re interested in discussing the changing identities and experiences associated with men and masculinities. Spoken word artist Carlos Andrés Gómez will be performing and our beloved Salad King will be catering! SCC 115, 10:30 a.m., $5 for Ryerson students, staff and faculty, $10 for everyone else

Get in touch with community editor Allyssia Alleyne on Twitter at @AllyssiaAlleyne or @TheEyeopener if you want your event covered or want to chat about your Ryerson community. She can also be reached via email at communities@theeyeopener.com

Seriously, do it.

Photo by Marta Iwanek